HCC: High Concept Challenge 34, A Working Class Hero Is Something To Be

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Dec 29 10:59:23 PST 2012

On 12/29/2012 6:36 AM, Tom Russell wrote:
>> I'll set the deadline for December 31.
>
> Kinda knew I was asking for trouble what with the holidays.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, there's been no entries yet, and as I'd
> rather be known as the guy that started the High Concept Challenge and
> not the guy that killed it, the deadline is extended until January 14th.

Actually I have *extra* time for writing at the holidays.  And I haven't
wasted it; this might be a double-episode Powernaut weekend.  As for
this challenge...

For a while I was thinking I had no situations to write about, 'cause
Clueless Lad is the best candidate and he still has to *find* his first
job.  But then I remembered the past.  I actually have several candidates:

*  Ellipsis, 1992.  Stephen Wolcott certainly acts like he's
independently wealthy now.  But how did he react to being unemployed
during his first year out of college?  I've actually written this story;
it's something very simple I could share for the challenge.

*  Wyatt Ferguson, 2002 or 2004.  Wyatt has also gone from unemployment
to entrepreneurship, and I've already written a tale or two about his
finances.  It's actually kind of dramatic how he once hired Julie
Wolcott away from Ellipsis.  Could be a four-part RACC miniseries!

*  Powernaut 2006!  People have already wondered how the Powernaut got
that sleazy-looking business manager who tried to keep him under control
in 2009.  There's an untold story there, but I should really tell
Powernaut 2005 Parts 2 through 4 and Powernaut 2006 Part 1 first.  I'm
likely to publish that storyline alternating with Powernaut 1962, 1966,
1968 and 1969.  So, Powernaut Comics might be ready for this challenge
sometime in 2014.

I know. - Archie Andrews