WWW: The Continentals: Appetite for Destruction!!!

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 06:48:14 PST 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 01:18:40 +0000 (UTC), Darryl Hughes wrote:

> Why dangerous territory? That was the traditional asian fashion of the
> time. It's not like I have an asian man working in an office in 2021
> wearing Fu-Manchu style clothing. That would be dangerous territory
> indeed.
>
> And once you see him in action you'll know he's not one to be messed
> with no matter what he's wearing.

Oh, no - I just mean that, essentially, working with iconic versions of
ethnic villains of the past, you have to be careful not to let the baked-in
racism of how those villains worked then bleed through. Even the best in
the business fall to that trap sometimes (see, for instance, the
Gatiss/Moffat Sherlock episode "The Blind Banker" - or so I hear, having
only seen the first episode so far).

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, there's no evidence that you're falling
into the trap, mind, but I thought it was worth bringing up.