META/LNH: And what was your favorite SW10 year?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Apr 18 17:33:07 PDT 2012

On 4/17/2012 8:18 PM, Adrian J. McClure wrote:
> I've started reading the early SW stuff. It's... interesting. I kind
> of like the half-baked self-insertion dreams/fantasies--I have things
> like that too, although mine are naturally a lot more elaborate.

Naturally.  8{D>

> Unfortunately, I can never remember my dreams a lot of the time, and
> most of my dreams are actually about buying books and comics or doing
> schoolwork. I don't dream about elaborate alternate histories, that's
> for sure.

My dream life's been downright boring for the last year or so.  My
dreams have always been *mostly* travelogs, but I used to frequently
have some which battered down the Gates of Higher Dream and demanded to
be included in comic book stories.  Not for the last year, though... and
what few I've had, would work better with the Powernaut than with Wyatt
Ferguson!  If only I can get the Powernaut into 2012, that is.

> The early Ellipsis stories I found pretty much unreadable due to the
> RTF formatting, and they didn't have the goofy anything-goes charm of
> the Me in the Marvel Universe stuff. I'll probably have to skip them
> in the archive-binging and go directly to Escalation.

That's fair.  If I cared *that* much to preserve all the early Ellipsis,
I'd have put the stuff into HTML. I've already thrown two large chunks
of them out of continuity.  The stories were lucky I managed to scan
them off Apple IIe printouts.  But the surviving chunks were the basis
for lots of good superhero campaigns, including the introduction of
Crusher Jim Corrigan.  Maybe I should revisit that sometime in my
copious spare time... but somehow I doubt it.

> At what point did SW turn from fanfic into original fic? Was there
> some sort of Crisis or were the fanfic elements just dropped?

The Marvel Universe was always separate from that of Ellipsis; Wyatt
Ferguson sort of bounced in between.  There *was* a world-changing
crisis in 2003, but only in a way which involved lots of hard work.
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/lxmf.htm

At the end of 2003, I sadly dropped the Marvel Universe stuff.  I then
found, Ellipsis *alone* was enough of a schemer to drive the whole plot.
  I think my stories started improving then.  The storyline of 2004 plus
January 2005 actually has a beginning, middle, and end, plus lots of
good plot stuff.  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2004/  ... Cleaning
up after this storyline led to the first appearance of the Powernaut!

> Is Wyatt Ferguson's evil twin Scum Death still out there?

Why yes he is!  He was last seen at the climax of the 2004 storyline -
on the world which Wyatt's *new* evil twin Chancellor Wyatt now
inhabits.  http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2005/after.htm#mountain ...
I bet they've met by now, which will lead to interesting results if and
when I revisit the storyline.

Perhaps my writing has improved over the years, but I have yet to
improve on some of my old plots.

Let's take a look, if you will, at the Second Amendment of the
Constitution, which protects every American's right to shoot another
American.  This cherished constitutional right to shoot people and make
them dead is currently recognized in all fifty states, most recently
Florida.

- The Borowitz Report
(http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/03/29/an-argument-against-healthcare/),
March 2012.