SW10/HCC: Summer of Discontent #4: The Myth

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Sep 30 18:32:12 PDT 2011

On 9/26/2011 1:13 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sep 18, 8:20 pm, Scott Eiler<sei... at eilertech.com>  wrote:
>
>> The engineers of The Trillions were working in the control room.  They
>> looked curiously at the intruders for two seconds, then went back to
>> work.  The U.S. party quietly found one unoccupied computer station.
>> The Marine with the computer plugged a cable in.  Five minutes later, he
>> quietly said, "Got it!"
>
> ...you know, this whole time, I've been vague on what they're actually
> trying to *do*.

Did I manage to explain it acceptably?

>> One Marine broke in.  "My dad told me, Vietnamese had amulets for lots
>> of stuff.  Lots of them were in the name of their real king.  Lac Long
>> Quan.  The Commies must have taken away lots of the old amulets.  This
>> fake king must have tracked down all the other ones he could find.
>> Except this old one.  It just made the difference."
>
> Interesting.  Makes sense, though I'd have figured a dollop of actual
> magic in there.

Maaaybe.  Other witnesses would probably figure that too, if they
believed in magic.  Now, were there any other witnesses in the room...?

>> I *do* have disposable characters:  two hundred or so from the archives.
>>    And I can always make more.  But they will not sell their lives
>> cheaply.  I hope I made the disposition of Swordhand and the nameless
>> Marine both mean something.
>
> Neither death was cheap, definitely.  However, I think they both
> needed more buildup; in particular, I would've liked to see some setup
> for the whole "weakened in captivity" thing.

I'll have rewrites on the site shortly, because Friday night isn't
*just* for doing the laundry.  8{D>

--
(signed) Scott Eiler  8{D> --- http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.