SW10: Summer of Discontent #3a: The Agents

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 14:11:06 PDT 2011

On Sep 25, 7:17 pm, Scott Eiler <sei... at eilertech.com> wrote:

> What Has Gone Before:  There's a Plan to defeat the next great winter by
> moving the Earth back to its old orbit.
> (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/discontent1.txt)  Some of The
> Plan's agents are captive in South Vietnam.
> (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/discontent2.txt)  Others have
> been lost on another Earth
> (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/discontent3.txt), or in the
> timestream (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/1971.txt).

Jeez, they're not doing very well.  Well, at least I know that one
group of our heroes, though separated from their home world, is still
operating free and--

> Next to a sign saying "Ordered Realities Badge Station - Schenectady",
> the Mighty Tim looked up from the nets he'd been bound in.

D'oh!

> "Don't worry.  I got this one."  In a burst of flame *and* lightning,
> the Mighty Tim and the Powernaut disappeared from Schenectady!

Hm, interesting.  That capture was resolved quick!

> "I know the one...  Yeah, this is really me."  Wyatt Ferguson looked tired.

I bet!

> Seven minutes later, Corrigan said, "Skip the news briefing.  Can we do
> The Plan today?"
>
> Ingrid Bodil, National Security Advisor, said "No."
>
> "What's missing?"
>
> "The Chancellor's blockade on Earth is still up.  And we have not found
> The Trillions command ship."

And now I see where in the timeline things fit~

> Wyatt said, "Yeah... Let's do it, Pam.  I see you have the right hat."

Girl Genius reference!

> "Dammit!  Well, we got stuff going on.  We might get in a Trillions
> ship.  And the Commander-in-Chief has authorized, The Plan is going into
> overtime.  The way the world is going, any fix is better than no fix."

To be concluded...

> I've been re-reading various seventy-five-issue storylines from out of
> Vertigo Comics recently.  Sandman, The Books of Magic, and Lucifer all
> went exactly that long.  Lucifer did best, in my opinion.  The Books of
> Magic got a lot of complaints because the author knew stuff the readers
> didn't.  This gives me an idea of plot cohesion to aspire to, hopefully
> above The Books of Magic.

Interesting.  I've read some Lucifer, and it's pretty tight; Books of
Magic probably suffers in that respect from not being written by the
original creator.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, hoo~