HCC: HCC #23 - Mythrepresentation

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Sep 7 18:59:36 PDT 2011

On 9/6/2011 8:43 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> In article<2da0764c-12d6-436a-93aa-441ee96c194e at eb1g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
> Phantasm<phantom_belcher at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> *cackles insanely*
>> Suddenly I'm reminded of the classic 'cross-dressing Thor' incident,
>> when he has to impersonate Freyja to get Mjolner back....
>
>       When I read my first Thor comic (#249, from Simonson's first run), I
> already knew how Thor was supposed to look and wondered why Marvel got him
> wrong.  Only later did I start to suspect they made him clean-shaven and with
> long blond hair so that they could plausibly have him cross-dress should they
> ever decide to do that story.  ;)

They've actually done Female Thor, in Earth-X.  The Freyja incident is
probably an important part of the backstory.

>       Dave Van Domelen, read a lot of mythology in kindergarten and first
> grade.

Even Cross-Dressing Thor?  8{D>

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.