LNH/Meta: Reboot Redux

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 16:09:03 PDT 2011

On Oct 31, 10:35 am, dvan... at eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
> In article <9b81a43b-953f-4c90-bc92-69bd2032e... at j19g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
>
> EDMLite  <robroger... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >First things first: Happy Halloween, everybody!
>
> >My other suggestion is that we stick with characters
> >that we either created ourselves (both established and
> >new; I'm excited to see what Andrew is coming up with)
> >or that are very clearly public domain.
>
>      Yes.  The early days saw a LOT of characters used without permission,
> sometimes even explicitly against the desires of the creators.  Since
> Altimate LNH has at least part of its goal as "simplify this huge mess of
> characters," I'd suggest being extra-scrupulous about leaving out any
> character who is not public-domain and whose creator hasn't *specifically*
> released them for this project.  If that means you can't use Mouse because
> Jaelle isn't answering emails, or can't use Rebel Yell because Scav is
> ignoring RACC, so be it.  There's loads of characters to pick from just using
> the people who have confirmed their participation.  "But I have this great
> idea for Character Z!" isn't a good enough reason to alienate someone who may
> still be around if inactive.
>
>      Dave Van Domelen, a zany attitude towards continuity need not bring with
> it an equally loose view of creators' rights.

There's really no point calling it the LNH if people just use their
own characters.  By implication, the trademark LNH belongs to the
people who joined back in April and May of 1992.  Writing about a
group called the LNH and not including any of the original characters
would disrespect those original creators in the same way that writing
about a group called the Avengers and using all your own characters
would violate Marvel's trademark.

Martin