LNH/META: To Reboot or Not to Reboot....

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 16:03:44 PDT 2011

On Oct 28, 11:55 am, Arthur Spitzer <arspit... at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I do think every issue should just focus on a specific character and
> their interactions with the LNH for whatever week it takes place.  The
> writer could do whatever they wanted for that issue.  If they want to
> have the character have some origin flashback they could do that.  If
> they don't.. then they don't have to.

I was thinking that every issue could not only written from the point
of view of each character but could be written in first person.  Each
person could introduce themselves so you could have a flashback at the
beginning of each story.  Something like this.

  We were just about to face Dr. Lo Kee when I couldn't help thinking
about how I got here.  It all started when I was born here in
Netropolis.  Well, actually, I can't tell you about that because I
don't remember being born.  One of my strongest memories is of when I
was six years old riding in the back of my dad's car.  I wasn't paying
any attention to where we were going because I was busy playing with
my Superguy action figure.

Etc. etc. etc. including a recap of what has gone on before.  It
doesn't have to be too detailed but it would be a way for each
character to tell their origin story from their own point of view.

Some characters would be very hard to write: Sister State-the-Obvious,
Bad Timing Boy, Super Apathy Lad, etc.  I think the SStO in LNH2012
should be black.  Seriously.  She could say things like "You really
don't want to do that" or "That's not a good idea" and be a bit more
assertive than the mainstream SStO.  She would be like an amalgamation
of SStO and Catalyst Lass because whenever she said anything people
would not only agree but have to admit that it was obvious.  Super
Apathy Lad would also have to be toned down a bit.  He could be
written like this.

  So now we were facing the Time Crapper.  Again.  I thought we had
already defeated him.  Persistent little bugger, isn't he?  Oh, wait,
maybe this was a Time Crapper from an alternative time line from the
one we had just faced a few minutes ago.  Great.  And why did this one
want to kill us?  What did we do to him?
  Oh, I remember now...

Anyway, I'm thinking that maybe Lalo should go ahead with Captain
Continuity or Kid Recap.  The way I write Bad Timing Boy he is not a
very likable character: I do not want to hear him complain for an
entire issue how he doesn't get a chance to be there in the fight and
how if everything goes wrong it isn't his fault.

Anyway, the characters should all be familiar, just like Ultimate
versions of Marvel characters but they can be different and more
realistic.  If each character has its own origin then you need to be
able to justify why they are there wearing a costume and fighting
crime.  That means Cosmic Plot Device characters like Grammar Lad and
Spelling Boy would be a hard sell, that is unless poor grammar and
spelling has become a crime that warrants the attention of vigilantes.

Martin