LNH/META: To Reboot or Not to Reboot....

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 04:41:27 PDT 2011

On Oct 27, 6:07 am, Lalo Martins <lalo.mart... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 October 2011 05:35:11 UTC+2, Andrew Perron  wrote:
> > (Okay, I'm gonna crosspost my reply, since IMHO, this discussion should
> > really be on the newsgroup in the first place; I thought the LNH Authors
> > group was basically "discuss future plot points without spoiling/put
> > stories up for editing".)
>
> Agreed on both counts. My mistake for replying there: I haven't really been on the newsgroup very often lately.
>
> > On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Lalo Martins <lalo.m... at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Maybe I'm spending too much time reading about managing and marketing, but —
> > > I'd go with a full reboot. As in, when it's done, that's the world we
> > > continue writing in.
>
> > Lalo, I mean no offense by the statement that follows this, and I do not
> > consider it objective fact, just my own subjective opinion.
>
> > This is an incredibly, horribly terrible idea.
>
> No offense taken. I disagree, though :-)
>
> > Now, an Ultimate-style new universe going on beside the first?  That's
> > fine.  I like LNHY a lot, and another spinoff is cool!  (Personally, I'd
> > make it distinctively different - make all the characters feel sort of
> > Earth-2 - and give it a strong central idea to differentiate it from the
> > main universe.  LNHY kinda accidentally did this with its Biblical themes
> > and dark government stuff.)
>
> Or go the 50s DC route and treat the old Looniverse as an Earth 2 of sorts where people grow old and whatever.
>
> > But not writing in the old one anymore?  One of the reasons I *love* the
> > LNH so much is that so many different people have poured their ideas into
> > it, their different styles, their characterization and history.  A universe
> > that's been fleshed out as thoroughly as the Looniverse is a hard thing to
> > come by *anywhere*.  It's worth far too much to throw away or ignore.
>
> Again: I'm not saying we pass a law that nobody is allowed to write the classic Looniverse anymore. That would be silly, for many reasons, ranging from being a bad idea to begin with for the reasons you list, to the fact that it makes no sense to try to make absolute rulings in an intrinsically anarchic group such as we are.
>
> What I *am* saying is we shift the primary focus to the “new 20” or whatever it's called

Okay, so who would be in the new LNH?  I think we need to respect the
people who are still around now but also include some classic
characters while avoiding those who have been overused already.  How
about...?

1) Kid Enthusiastic
2) Minority Miss
3) Master Blaster
4) Sister State-the-Obvious
5) Cheesecake Eater Lad
6) aLLiterative Lass
7) Easily Discovered Man
8) Easily Discovered Man Lite
9) Fearless Leader
10) Irony Man
11) Kid Kirby
12) Occultism Kid
13) Wiki Boy
14) Linguist Lass
15) Doctor Stomper
16) Sarcastic Lad
17) Special Bonding Boy
18) Coward Lad
19) Super Apathy Lad
20) Bad Timing Boy

Of course, to be fair, we should have some sort of vote which means we
need to start with a longer list and work it down to twenty so maybe I
should suggest a few more...?

21) Sing Along Lass
22) Ultimate Ninja
23) Limp Asparagus Lad
24) Captain Cleanup
25) Squeaky Clean
26) Captain Continuity
27) Insomnia Boy
28) (Marvel) Zombie Lad
29) Procrastination Boy

Anyway, I would vote for the first twenty I listed.  Maybe other
people can suggest their own list of twenty to thirty LNHers while
saying who their top twenty would be.

Martin