LNH/META: To Reboot or Not to Reboot....

EDMLite robrogers72 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 09:59:21 PDT 2011

On Oct 26, 5:02 pm, Arthur Spitzer <arspit... at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I don't think that's entirely true (well, the part about no one knowing
> about it is true)... the LNH kind of started out as a chaotic mess that
> wasn't the greatest prose and it developed a huge backstory in a very
> short time.  I think the real reason it was popular in the 90s and not
> as popular now is simply there was less competing with the typical
> person's attention span back then.  The LNH was cool back in the 90s
> because there was not much else to do on the internet.
>
> Now days it has to compete with all kinds of things like youtube,
> webcomics, bit torrent stuff, and a bunch of other stuff.  Now it's
> possible that if it had its own messageboard maybe it would do a little
> better than being on Usenet... although you'd still have to lead
> everyone who doesn't know about it to it.

I think this is an excellent point.  When I think about the people I
know that I would recruit as LNH writers (if I could) -- well,
one of them is already writing graphic novels, one has her own
webcomic, another is writing a blog, and a fourth is working on
scripts for animated features.  Getting them to work on another
writing project, just for the fun of it, might be a tough sell.

I think the LNH has two things going for it that make it unique.
The first is that (most of the time), it's a friendly, supportive
place in which to write.  The second is that it is a comedy
universe.  There are a lot of great super-hero stories being
written these days in a variety of media, but very few of them
(in my opinion) are funny.

--Rob Rogers
--Though the "Constantine" film was pretty unintentionally
amusing...