LNH/META: To Reboot or Not to Reboot....

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 05:00:10 PDT 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 00:02:19 +0000 (UTC), Arthur Spitzer wrote:

> I don't think that's entirely true (well, the part about no one knowing
> about it is true)... the LNH kind of started out as a chaotic mess that
> wasn't the greatest prose and it developed a huge backstory in a very
> short time.

There's this, too.

> I think the real reason it was popular in the 90s and not
> as popular now is simply there was less competing with the typical
> person's attention span back then.  The LNH was cool back in the 90s
> because there was not much else to do on the internet.
>
> Now days it has to compete with all kinds of things like youtube,
> webcomics, bit torrent stuff, and a bunch of other stuff.

Eh, I disagree. It's not like there weren't always other distractions for
my time back in the '90s; even on the 1995 or '96 Internet, there were
hundreds, nay thousands, of other Usenet groups, mailing lists, and other
venues for free fiction.  It's just that there happened to be something in
the right place to notify me of the LNH's existence.

Really, what we need is to advertise - especially by word of mouth.
Everyone out there who has friends who like writing, tell them about this
place!  We're fun and friendly and smart and silly!

> Now it's
> possible that if it had its own messageboard maybe it would do a little
> better than being on Usenet... although you'd still have to lead
> everyone who doesn't know about it to it.

Yeah, really, there's no difference between being on a bboard somewhere and
having Google Groups there, except this way, people can graduate to the
awesomeness that is a good Usenet client.

> Back in 2004, I kind of tried my own LNH reboot with LNHY... and at
> least in getting new writers it was kind of a failure.  Maybe it would
> have done better with some classic LNH characters thrown in the mix.

I don't think so.  You did a good job, it was just that, well, 2004 was on
the downswing for RACC; if you look at the Google Groups archives, December
2003 and January 2004 were the months with the lowest posting rate the
group's ever seen.  And LNHY was one of the things that helped pull it out
of that; August, the month it premiered, had the *highest* rate that year.

> Well, there goes my idea for a Erotic LNH reboot.  :)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, Obscure Fetish Lad?