HCC/ASH: ASH Side-Story - Hidden Under A Bushel

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Oct 23 18:23:36 PDT 2011

On 10/23/2011 12:57 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> Author's Notes:
>
>       Still, after finishing ASH #114, I realized I could do something with
> the throwaway character Daniel Tang.  My first ideas involved wacky hijinks
> ensuing as Dan tried to get back to Earth and kept finding himself
> sidetracked, but given where I have "A Fire Afar Off" plotted to go, I didn't
> really want to provide any reason for Daniel to become prominent.  He needed
> to stay background, lest the main plot get derailed.  A few more minutes of
> thought gave me the idea that turned into this story.
>       Will he get his wish to stay safely in the background?  Well, the best
> laid plans, and all that....

I have to admit, when you mix character interludes with big plotlines, I
skim the interludes and go on to the big plotlines.  But when you make a
whole episode of the character interludes, I like it.  And I like this
concept.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.