ASH: ASH #114 - A Fire Afar Off Part 1: It's A Small World

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Oct 22 16:38:36 PDT 2011

On 10/21/2011 10:10 AM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
>       Because we're reasonably sure the world won't end today, Coherent Comics
> Unincorporated presents the start of a new Academy of Super-Heroes arc: A
> Fire Afar Off, now with 20% more literary merit!

Heh.  The Rapture seems not to have gotten much publicity this time.
That's probably part of a master plan to spring it on us by surprise
when it finally happens.

> Author's Notes:
>
>       Don Quixote's final adventure was related in Coherent Super Stories #3,
> which also explained the nature of Dimension Z and its inhabitants.  In it he
> says that it has been his family's sacred trust for over five hundred years
> to fight the giants, but that was somewhat sloppy writing on my part, given
> that I'd meant for the Don Quixote of Cervantes (1605) to be based on a
> nearly-contemporary "real" Quixano, which would mean fewer than four hundred
> years passing between the first giant-fighting Quixano and the last.

I'm looking forward to reading the New Adventures of the Quixote Family.
  I liked the swordplay too.

>       Port Austin is a real place on the "thumb" of Michigan's Lower
> Peninsula.  I've never been there, but it seemed like a decent place to put a
> "get away from it all without getting TOO far away" vacation home for the
> Quixanos.

I've actually been there!
(http://www.eilertech.com/domination/blog/blog23.htm#thumb)  It's kind
of like North Dakota (or I presume Nebraska) with a lakeshore.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.