HCC: HCC#24: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Oct 18 18:18:55 PDT 2011

On 10/18/2011 6:04 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 22:40:03 +0000 (UTC), EDMLite wrote:
>
>> Write a story that directly involves the background characters in your
>> favorite story universe.  They're not the heroes (or villains) or the
>> sidekicks, or even the heroes' best friends or love interests.
>> They're the Rosencrantzes and Guildensterns — they may not even be
>> aware of what's going on around them, but they have a story that's
>> worth telling...
>
> I like it!  I don't think I can fit anything I've been writing into it, but
> I like it!

My problem is, *everything* I write fits in.  Except for Ellipsis and
the Mighty Tim, *everyone* in my stories started out as a background
character.  My most recent story was even narrated by Major Rosencrantz.
 If I'm going to meet the spirit of this challenge, I'll have to
restrict *all* my lead characters to cameo appearances.  Given that, I
might have a bit of a challenge too.  But I still like the idea.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.