SW10: Time Bounce #2: 1971: Artwork

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Oct 8 17:09:21 PDT 2011

On 10/8/2011 1:05 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 06:53:11 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> When you view this image, you will see I've learned a trick.  But if I
>> turned the trick off, the cover would in my opinion be about as good.
>
> What if the trick was a holofoil overlay?

Penalty!

Maybe when I start *selling* these stories, I can have variant covers.
But for now, I have to build the variants into a single cover.  8{D>

>> I made the year 1971 distinctive in this image.  I considered a
>> childlike font, but rejected it because children were not influential in
>> 1971.  I considered a psychedelic font, but rejected that for similar
>> reasons.
>
> I'd definitely say it's very
> wants-to-be-distinctive-but-just-doesn't-know-how-to-go-about-it.  Thus,
> very '70s.

There's so much more I could say about the 1970s.  The hippies were
giving up.  (ref. the Jefferson Starship)   The time *was* modern, but
only in a black-and-white way.  In 1971 people were still going to the
Moon, but their support staff still used punch cards - which were
cutting edge tech at the time.

That's all part of my reasoning for the cover design.  Besides, black
and white was easy, and the cover already had enough trickery.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.