SW10/HCC: Summer of Discontent #4: The Myth

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Oct 5 18:35:13 PDT 2011

On 10/4/2011 12:38 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Oct 3, 9:48 pm, Scott Eiler<sei... at eilertech.com>  wrote:
>
>> Explain what they were *doing* to The Trillions, right?  Basically, they
>> were trying to find the command ship so they could give the orders.
>
> Ah, I see - so they were hacking it so they could send orders through
> it?  Makes sense.  But why didn't it just get undone the moment they
> left?
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, suppose that's part of the orders.

Hmmm.  The answer is some combination of:

*  As long as they can send the orders, they can shut down the ships.

*  ... and send Abort signals to any Trillions on their way to Earth.

*  The Trillions are culturally conditioned to obey whomever is giving
the orders on their command ship.  Uh oh, what if they learn disobedience?

*  Still, the Earthling command of The Trillions only has to last as
long as it takes to move the Earth.

*  What if The Trillions break free?  Chancellor Wyatt probably has
observers and a new blockade strategy already.

Of course, it's a failure on my part that the story didn't already
mention that stuffy.  But that's why I'm not ashamed of review.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.