LNH20: Earth-Twenty Roundup Thread And Getting The New Tag In There

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 02:14:16 PST 2011

quoth Andrew Perron as of Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:09:33 +0000:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 02:09:09 +0000 (UTC), Lalo Martins wrote:
>
>> Tori is a member of the LNH, a robot, a legal citizen of Japan, a
>> millionaire, and a very popular toy franchise.
>>
>> It was built circa 1981 by Kid Enthusiastic.
>
> Incidentally, I had originally thought of him as being born in 1982, but
> I'm thinking of moving it back to 1972.

I based the date on your claim that he's been 10 for 30 years, therefore
he's 40, therefore 1972. If you change it again, no biggie, we can change
Tori accordingly.

>> Tori looks kind of like a 1m-tall, classic-Anime stylized version of
>> the Space Shuttle, with somewhat anthropomorphized head, and
>> penguin-like flappers on the sides. It looks like that because Kid E
>> read somewhere the Shuttle's design was based on a bird, and not having
>> the web around to quickly dispel that myth, he was excited by it and
>> his imagination came up with a robot.
>
> D'awwww!  That's adorable.  ...and hard to imagine; I'm basically
> visualizing the Space Shuttle with flamingo legs.

Too bad I can't draw to save my life :-) but I'm thinking short stubby
feet that look like the shuttle's rockets (which do look quite a bit like
feet anyway) and a head that looks like a penguin wearing a hoodie. For
flying, it looks straight “up”, so the beak locks into the hoodie tip
(guess there are holes for the eyes in the back, then).

>> Kid Enthusiastic and Tori remained close friends for about 20 years,
>> and during the 90s, it was for all practical purposes Kid E's sidekick.
>> Then, during the Crossover Crisis that led to the creation of the
>> Killfile, things somehow got sour between them, and by the time of the
>> Killfile, they went their separate ways.
>
> Hmmmmmmmmm. I'm trying to think about what they'd split up over, but I'm
> not coming up with anything.

In typical comics magic, we can leave that open until we have a good
idea :-P

>> At some point in the mid-90s, after it had saved the world and
>> experienced teenage angst, some of the Saviors campaigned to have its
>> rights recognized as a sentient being, and eventually, Japan thought it
>> would be a good marketing ploy to go with it, and gave Tori full
>> citizenship.
>
> Note that it couldn't be the Saviors if this is post-Killfile.  Or did
> this happen first?

First. I kind of had a writing tangle in this part, where I had to choose
to stick to topics or to chronological order, and decided topics made
more sense. So the citizenship thing is before the breakup, and probably
more or less led by Kid E.

-- Lalo “time is overrated anyway” “or timey-wimey at least” Martins