LNH20: Earth-Twenty Roundup Thread And Getting The New Tag In There

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:03:05 PST 2011

quoth Lalo Martins as of Sun, 20 Nov 2011 15:50:26 +0000:

> No idea yet where the name Professor Penumbra comes from. Maybe it's
> given to him by the formative LNH. Also need to figure out his real name
> and his 90s hero name if he had one (I'm tending towards not). And a bit
> more about his personality.

Adam Polcien (pronounced “Poowtsien”). Born in June '76, so he'll be 35;
30 by the time the LNH is formed. His paternal grandfather (and thus
surname) was Polish, but the other three were Persian, Chinese, and
Native-American. As a teenager, he had no idea which culture or social
group he belonged to... until he discovered the BBSes, then the internet,
and the world of the geek convention. For a while, he was in every single
one. It was in those that he had his first close encounters with the
bizarre and became a neo-pulp adventurer, helping people and
investigating strange cases. So if in that context he meets the Saviors
at some point in the 90s (his late teens), he went by his real name, and
dressed in sturdy, old-fashioned explorer outfits (1920s).

He never could be bothered to actually spend a year of his life in
college, but after somebody decided to give him an honorary degree, he
put much of his time between adventures in post-graduate studies, and
accumulated a nice collection of titles. So in the good tradition of pulp
heroes and comics wizards, it is actually correct to address him as
Professor Polcien, which translated to English gives Professor Penumbra.
Using that as a net.hero name was probably a joke by some other LNHer.

-- Lalo “between light and shadow” Martins