LNH20: Earth-Twenty Roundup Thread And Getting The New Tag In There

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 13:50:10 PST 2011

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:10:51 +0000 (UTC), Adrian James McClure wrote:

> It's actually
> kind of heartening to read the bad early work of someone who evolved
> into an exceptional writer, it makes you more confident about where
> you can go.

I very much agree.  To read Teenfactor and then read Jolt City should be
prescribed for people who are in despair about ever getting better.

> Anyway: The idea I had for the founder of Pla.net.ary is a version of
> Teenfactor's former leader, Jennifer Frost (an, er, homage of Emma
> Frost), with elements of Elijah Snow and Catalyst Lass.

Oooooh, I like it. (Note that I hardly remember anything of Teenfactor, so
I'll miss most of the references here.)

> So: On January 1, 1912, a cabal of six low-level psychics known as the
> Shadow Skimmers gathered together to carry out a ritual to shape the
> destiny of the next century. They were all children of Voidmaster, a
> powerful psychic and spiritualist who acted as a servant of Death.

Hmmmmm.  All his children were in on this?  Or was there a rebel?
(Comeliness Lass?)

> One of them was a precognitive, and she drew up
> a plot to summon a book of powerful magic from the future. A book that
> embodied the creative potential of the new century. A book that had
> the nation trembling in fear of the occult power it possessed.
>
> That book was the Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook, and the
> ritual made the Shadow Skimmers immortal and augmented each of htem in
> one of the six stats--Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence,
> Wisdom and Charisma.

Hah, nice! XD

> Jennifer Frost--actually, "January Frost" would
> probably work better on a number of levels.

Indeed.

> (Some say that a GM's Handbook was summoned back in time too and
> arrived elsewhere. No one knows what would have become of it.)

*dun dunnnnn*

> Once she was one of the founders of WHATEVER, but she was
> betrayed by her former student Waffle Queen and her half-brother
> Pickman Locke (who has superhuman Dexterity, sort of based on the
> original Shadow Skimmers member Lockpick.)

The "former student" angle makes me think that she had a group of several
students at one point; possibly, all food-based.

> She founded Pla.net.ary to
> stop their plans to rule the world. Besides Felix Landers, their other
> operatives included Agent M, Kid Enthusiastic and Guy In A Trenchcoat
> Fighting Ninjas; they also frequently worked with Professor Penumbra.

Makes sense.

> On one of their expeditions they found the LNHQ buried beneath
> Netropolis, built (or grown, if we're going by Arthur Spitzer's
> origin) by powers unknown. (IE, probably the former Manga Man Gold.)
> It emerged from the ground in an earthquake caused by a cessation of
> the Killfile.  Frost, knowing that WHATEVER would probably start
> seeking out the new net.ahumans, wanted to form a group that would
> find and train them before they did. The former Pla.net.ary operatives
> and Professor Penumbra formed the nucleus of the LNH, except for Guy
> In A Trenchcoat Fighting Ninjas, who struck out on his own. Doc
> Nostalgia and Minority Miss were their first recruits. Other members
> were subconsciously drawn to the LNHQ independently.

Hmmmmm.  This origin honestly seems a bit too simplistic, too
just-one-cause.  I like the combination of Pla.net.ary coming in to
investigate from one end, kids breaking out of the Waffle Queen's "school"
on the other, people protesting in the streets on yet another, and a
general weirdness level that's suddenly exploded out of anyone's control on
yet another.  I want there to be room for characters that we haven't even
thought of yet.  And I still totally want the LNH Setup Kid to be involved.

(I'm thinking that You're-Not-Hitting-Me-Hard-Enough Lad discovers his
powers in a protest when he's treated roughly by a Dirty Harry parody with
a nighstick.  I'm so into him being a founder, you have no idea.)

> As a Legionnaire, January Frost took the name "Charisma Lass." This
> was because of Doc Nostalgia, who is a stickler for everyone having
> names that end in "Lad" or "Lass" and has tried unsuccessfully to get
> this added to the LNH constitution every year. (It doesn't have to
> apply to him because he was one of the first.)

Bwahahahaha.  Yes.

> He's the Legionnaire
> who is the most difficult for her to deal with, so she plays along
> with this. One of the few people she more or less considers a friend
> is Fearless Leader. She is the only teammate who really understands
> the depths of his loss. She's very much in love with him, but can
> never admit this to anyone, least of all herself. Especially because
> she has a lot of things in her past that he would not be happy to find
> out about.

All good character points!  We definitely need someone with a hopeless
crush on her, too.

> (Also, when he was Flame-Broiled Lad, Fearless Leader had flaming hair
> like Kindle does now. But losing his powers caused his hair to turn
> prematurely white.)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, ooooh, yes.