LNH20/Meta: titles

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 10:01:28 PST 2011

quoth Andrew Perron as of Sun, 06 Nov 2011 02:58:47 +0000:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:31:30 +0000 (UTC), Lalo Martins wrote:
>
>> I'm in favour of actually having Legion of Net.Heroes in the title. My
>> preferences are either
>> Legion of Net.Heroes v3
>> or maybe
>> All-New Legion of Net.Heroes
>
> Hmmmm, the first seems confusing and the second seems like it'd get old.
>  I still like the idea of Superlative Legion of Net.Heroes, perhaps
> replaced with an actual superlative.

I don't really buy the argument that they're confusing; in the newsgroup,
everything will be tagged LNH20, and in archives, it will be in a
separate directory. And I think if we're setting out to write the Legion
of Net.Heroes, there needs to be a title called Legion of Net.Heroes.
Wasn't the first title in New 52 named Justice League?

To make it more like the tag, we *could* call it “Legion of Net.Heroes
20” or “Legion of Net.Heroes 2.0”... but *that* would be confusing :-P
seeing as the current Classic LNH title is v2, and that we already have
an LNH2 imprint years ago.

My preference is still Legion of Net.Heroes v3, because that's what it
really is in essence, and if we're calling it anything else, we're
dancing around semantics to avoid (or create) confusion.

>> Maybe the core title should be
>> really the core title in the metafictional level, leading the current
>> events that all other titles gravitate around, and being posted in a
>> more or less cascade style.
>
> Eh, no way to really *make* it that - the focus of events will change as
> it will, y'know?

Of course, but on the other hand what's keeping the creators of whatever
is the current focus of events to post one or two issues to the core
title as a lead-in? Or if something epic like, say, BM is going on in its
own title (regular or mini-series), the core title could follow it,
showing how the LNH as a whole is reacting, as well as the public eye. A
role similar to Marvel's recent (and great IMO) practise of a companion
title to the year's event (Civil War Frontline, Fear Itself the Home
Front, etc).

The rationale here is that if there's a title named after the imprint,
and featuring the primary subject of the imprint (namely the LNH), that's
what new readers will see as the natural entry point. By keeping it
permanently woven into the remainder of the universe, we make it a
friendly and inviting entry point.

Maybe :-)

So let's have a quick vote? But before we start voting, let's see what
are the actual candidates. Anyone who has different thoughts please post
as a reply.

Core title:
- Legion of Net.Heroes (v3) [simplest]
- All-New Legion of Net.Heroes [Andrew thinks it will get old and it's a
  valid point]
- Epic Legion of Net.Heroes [Epic is the internet's superlative of choice,
  so if we want to go the superlative route, I motion we make Epic our
  theme superlative; it's a though one to live up to, tho, because it has
  a very definite literary meaning]
- LNH20 Comics Legion of Net.Heroes [Ultimate style]
- [there's no core title]

Flashback/backstory title:
- Tales of the LNH
- LNH Origins
- LNH Beginnings
- LNH The Lost Years
- Epic Origins
- Epic Flashback
- LNH20 Comics Origins
- LNH20 Comics Tales of the LNH
- LNH20 Comics Tales
- LNH20 Comics Flashback

Everything else is of course single-author, so each author uses whatever
title they feel like :-) except of course if we decide for a strict
format (eg LNH20 Comics <foo>), I suppose it's easy enough for everyone
to use that format. Not that I'm too mad about the idea.

-- Lalo “itching to start writing already” Martins