LNH20: Earth-Twenty Roundup Thread And Getting The New Tag In There

Adrian James McClure lord_soldeed at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 06:55:53 PST 2011

I was just looking through some of my old unfinished stories and
wondering what the group's been up to lately, and then I find this.
Wow.

My idea for rebooting Ultimate Mercenary is: I wouldn’t, not exactly.
In every superhero reboot there are elements that just don’t fit.
People who carry over into the new world even though their existence
without their original context makes no sense at all. These are the
Constants. Their existence is a serious threat to reality, but is also
somehow necessary for it to function. There are some who want to
destroy them, and others who want to make use of their potential to
warp and reshape the world.

The Ultimate Mercenary is one of these Constants. He has arrived from
the original Looniverse into the new one, but he's also always been
there since the killfile expired, even though he shouldn’t exist in a
world with no Ultimate Ninja. (I'm planning to write an issue of Just
Imagine Saxon Brenton vs. Andrew Perron in the Return of the RACCies!
that explains part of how this happens, and also wraps up many of the
loose ends from his own series, but I don't exactly have a great track
record for finishing things.)  It’s a very mixed blessing for him. In
a world where many of the old Legion’s core heroes don’t exist, he can
become the major hero he’s always wanted to be. But how does Ultimate
Ninja’s biggest fan define himself in a world without an Ultimate
Ninja?

Also, I would be very tempted to call his series “Ultimate Ultimate
Mercenary.”