SW10/META/PRECOG: On-Site Research

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Nov 7 19:52:02 PST 2011

Earlier this year I took a road trip to research a story I'd already
written.  During that trip I found that the real Britannia Beach was
more like a parking lot than an actual town.  Awww.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/page.php?fn=britannia_beach.txt )

So I'm going to try it again.  This time I'll go see how early the sun
sets in Ketchikan, Alaska!  I hear 4 pm.  Do I hear 3:30?  Do Alaskans
get nasty when it's dark out and/or the economy is tanking, and perhaps
say rude things about cities with skyscrapers?  I bet they don't, but I
guess I'll find out.  And can I see freighters from the best hotel in
town?  I bet I can, and I'm getting a waterview room to watch.  Some of
those questions are actually important to a story I wrote last year!
(The Sinking, http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2010/sinking.htm )

While in Ketchikan (and on the Alaska State ferry which will take me
there) I'll have plenty of time to write stories, travelogs, and just
about anything I want.  But for at least part of the time I can't post
them!  I'm sure people in Alaska have Internet service, but I'm not sure
*I* do.  So if you don't hear from me after this Friday morning, feel
free to make the important decisions about the fate of the newsgroup
without me, and I'll catch up a week later.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.