LNH20: Earth-Twenty Roundup Thread And Getting The New Tag In There

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 06:24:56 PST 2011

On Monday, 7 November 2011 15:04:07 UTC+1, Andrew Perron  wrote:
> Another new character!
>
> You know what I've noticed, playing City of Heroes?  There are several
> traditional video game team roles that don't show up much in comic book
> superhero teams, and none moreso than the healer/buffer.  So, I decided to
> make us a healer.
>
> I wanted to subvert the "gentle healer" trope, so this character's an
> *angry* healer.  Her heals would be fire-based - or, rather, Flame-based.
> She swears a lot - but it's all completely neutered swears; dickens,
> fiddlesticks, crud, etc.
>
> In homage to Sarcastic Lad's origin, I decided that once, she had been a
> nun, before she was possessed by an ifrit, an elemental being of fire and
> creation.  Now she wears a long white robe with flame designs on the cuffs,
> hem, and waist, and has burning eyes and hair.
>
> After all this was done, only *then* did I realize the perfect name.
>
> Kindle.
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, a peek into my process.

I really like the concept. And the name.

In the interest of honesty though, angry healers do have a tradition in sci-fi: Dr. McCoy wasn't angry all the time, but often enough, and the lovable asshole in the RDM Battlestar Galactica is arguably one of the best characters of the show. The old LSH had that purple goblin alien, can't remember his name now.

And of course, the classic LNH doctor is Dr. Bad-Bedside-Manner, probably based on the LSH gremlin guy. No idea whether he's public domain.

Still think the concept is worth pursuing, though :-)

-- Lalo “angry but hardly a healer” Martins