LNH20: Earth-Twenty Roundup Thread And Getting The New Tag In There

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:51:08 PDT 2011

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 22:52:03 +0000 (UTC), Dave Van Domelen wrote:

>      Here's a suggestion for some of the old PD or with-permission characters
> who are a bit dated, due to being tied too tightly to Usenet in-jokes, comic
> tropes not used much since the 90s, or anything else that doesn't age well.
> Establish a 1990s team in the backstory and put these characters in as
> members or as enemies of the members.

Yes.  I very much agree.

>      For instance, the Post-Time Shifter's power is less significant on blogs
> and boards that have built-in threading and better time-stamping.  He'd make
> a good villain for the 90s team.  And while signature files still exist, the
> way Sig.Lad worked feels too tied to Usenet for my tastes, so I'd put him on
> the 90s team.

Hmmmm.  Makes sense!

>      I'm officially tossing the Society of Wireless Heroes into the pot as
> one of the Golden Age historicals.  General Use, but if you have no idea what
> the Goon Show is you might want to ask before writing them.  :)

Ooooooh.  This can easily be tied into the "development of the net" thing
that Lalo has going.

>      For Silver Age, the Net.astic Nine can remain, but probably should not
> be the premiere hero team.  Someone else should come up with an Avengers or
> JLA equivalent that can be namedropped (and Kid Enthusiastic the immortal
> could have been a member).

I'd say that his parents would have been; he's only 30 at this point, after
all.

>      We could have the 90s team be called the LNH as well, but it might be a
> cleaner break if we give them a different name, perhaps one that includes
> Usenet in the name somehow.  Heroes Usenetted?  Eh.  Think about it.  Perhaps
> they started with a name that has alt. in it, but "graduated" to rec. status
> later.  There could also be a secret military supers team with ARPANet in
> their name somehow, rivals to the "amateurs" in Sig.Lad's team.

To go in a slightly different reference direction: The Rec.ers?

>      Dave Van Domelen, contemplating a new WC named Professor Xavier Peter
> Sessions...Professor Exposition.

Niiiiiiice.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, yay for silly~