LNH/Meta: Reboot Redux

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 11:31:30 PDT 2011

quoth Andrew Perron as of Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:41:37 +0000:

> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 19:52:34 +0000 (UTC), Lalo Martins wrote:
>
>> LNH20: Legion of Net.Heroes (or at least the first arc)
>
> I definitely want some specific title for the core title of the world.
> Some brainstorming:
>
> Awesome Comics #1
> Superlative Legion of Net.Heroes #1
> Really Seriously Awesome Comics #1
> Net.Heroism #1
> Net.Action #1
> Adventure Times Twenty #1

I'm in favour of actually having Legion of Net.Heroes in the title. My
preferences are either
Legion of Net.Heroes v3
or maybe
All-New Legion of Net.Heroes

Also, I'm open to the argument that the core title tells present-day
stories and a different title (Tales of the LNH?) flashbacks the
beginning with the structure I proposed. Maybe the core title should be
really the core title in the metafictional level, leading the current
events that all other titles gravitate around, and being posted in a more
or less cascade style.

>> The framing story I
>> had proposed earlier was that the LNH (and possibly net.ahumans in
>> general) were secret until here and for some reason just went public,
>> but I'm not married to that if it doesn't work for you.
>
> I like the idea of there being some kind of tradition of heroing.
> Maybe... maybe it was around, got messed up during the '80s, and
> reappeared when the LNH came together?  Hmmmm.  Maybe too cliche.

After I posted this I started thinking a tradition would be good too. I
wanted to write Professor Penumbra as being around for a while, and if
you wanted to keep Kid E more or less similar to the original, you'd need
space for his parents.

But an easy out to reconcile those is to keep all heroing from whenever
it started (late 60s?) until the day we start posting underground, in
urban legend territory.

I wanted to link the existence of powered people to the Net, with some
bogus explanation being thrown around in Professor Penumbra. That would
put the first wave in the late 60s with Arpanet, the second in the early
80s with Compuserve and the BBS Age, and the third in the 92 with wide-
open internet and the Web. (What? That's when the Classic LNH started?
How shocking! What an amazing coincidence! *clears throat*)

>> Then if I find a couple of characters in the right age range that are
>> cleared for LNH20 but whose author has no specific plans...
>
> I'd like to put Firewire in here. http://www.lnhq.info/wiki/Firewire

That fits really well, thanks.

>> This will start more or less where 58.5 was supposed to have stopped:
>> these teenage characters did something bad (although not as bad as
>> STUFF.org because we're a few years late to pastiche Civil War).
>
> They killed someone who was evil-but-respected, perhaps.

Now I'm playing with the idea of not actually even deciding what was it
that they did. Might be good for a few chuckles.

-- Lalo “At Midnight I'm Coming For Your Sole” Martins