LNH/META: Duel of the Dual-Boot!

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 11:13:34 PDT 2011

quoth Andrew Perron as of Sat, 05 Nov 2011 16:39:02 +0000:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 17:11:14 +0000 (UTC), Lalo Martins wrote:
>
>> Howie K can stay if he's not a green kiwi (but then he might not be
>> “K”).
>
> I don't think "the idea of green, smart, kinda violent kiwis" is
> something we need to worry about being careful about, even though
> Descrii did, in fact, create it.  Of course, we could poke Saxon to use
> the purple kiwis he created...

Kid Kiwi or not, the problem with the Kiwi Kommandos is kind of what Dave
was trying to express: they're kind of personal. Kiwi is the national
bird of NZ (and people from there are called “Kiwis” informally), and
there might be some zany local significant joke explaining why he chose
to make them green. I didn't know him well enough to say whether he
created Kid Kiwi to reflect his own perceived status as the token NZer.
So I'd rather not make any assumptions, and plague the LNHQ with an
infestation of some other kind of bird.

On the other hand, if people generally agree using the kiwis is ok, and
we don't have Kid Kiwi, we could make a bit of a meta-linguistic tribute
joke by saying the kiwis just came and settled the HQ and nobody is quite
sure where they came from. Maybe the inability of the former owners to
get rid of them is exactly the reason the LNH was able to get the
building. Which could then lead to minor attrition with the kiwis who
have, after all, been there longer...

>> - Powerhouse (Kid Kirby, etc) — actually I think we do have a couple of
>> those,
>>   especially if someone wants to take Minority Miss over. I know I
>>   don't.
>
> Hmmmmm.  An all-new character might fit well here.  Perhaps someone who
> is literally based off the "tank" role in MMORPGs?

I think that would be You're-Not-Hitting-Me-Hard-Enough Lad, but that's
not exactly what I meant by Powerhouse, more like Thor in the original
Avengers, or Martian Manhunter in most JLA incarnations, or Doctor Fate
in the original JSA: the guy(s) you call when things have escalated above
pretty much everyone else's pay grade, but who might occasionally have a
problem relating to more down-to-earth life.

-- Lalo “