LNH/Meta: Reboot Redux

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:52:34 PDT 2011

(picking a thread to put this discussion in more or less arbitrarily)

I don't know if we'll make 20 titles, with (so far) 6 writers, but let's
think of that 20 titles as a goal rather than an obligation.

Here's what I'm interested in writing or co-writing (I'm assuming we're
going with Andrew's/my idea that the LNH has been around for a while):

LNH20: Legion of Net.Heroes (or at least the first arc)

Dual timeline. A framing story has a reporter or new member or something
learn how the LNH started. I'd like to use ARAK if Saxon says ok. (No
idea how... we'll discuss that in the writers group.) The framing story I
had proposed earlier was that the LNH (and possibly net.ahumans in
general) were secret until here and for some reason just went public, but
I'm not married to that if it doesn't work for you.

Then the flashback story obviously requires a lot of discussion since it
includes everybody's characters. The typical classic conceit is the
heroes banding together to fight some epic menace, but it could be an
interesting twist if instead all these secretly powered people just
started finding out about each other and formed the LNH like a sort of
club so they had others to talk to and knew how to find others to
occasionally ask for help.

LNH20: Professor Penumbra

In which I have free rein to indulge my passion for coming up with
complicated metaphysical explanations for everything, from the existence
of super powers to the net.jokes in names of stuff. Except this time I'll
make no effort to make them internally consistent and I'll fully expect
everyone else to either ignore them, or twist them even further. In the
name of Fun.

LNH20: Menace (working title)

Teenagers are fun. Endless complicated f-d up fun. I love writing them.
Think of this as a rebooted New Misfits. It definitely includes Pantra.
Very probably includes a rebooted Howie K who is some other species of
bird. Almost certainly the Amazing Amazon. Locke, possibly with a better
name. Then if I find a couple of characters in the right age range that
are cleared for LNH20 but whose author has no specific plans...

This will start more or less where 58.5 was supposed to have stopped:
these teenage characters did something bad (although not as bad as
STUFF.org because we're a few years late to pastiche Civil War). The LNH
is unsure enough of their innocence to either protect them or take them
down. Maybe the LNH offers help but the kids are too proud. The stories
see them trying to live on the run, with the help of their powers, while
at the same time doing good while they can, maybe clearing their names,
and generally being teenagers.

They're not a team and they don't have a team name. I'm thinking maybe if
Tom thinks that's ok a few people will try to pin the name Teenfactor on
them and they'll very vehemently say they're absolutely not Teenfactor.

-- Lalo “don't take this as a precog, depends on what others say” Martins