LNH/META: Duel of the Dual-Boot!

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Fri Nov 4 10:55:42 PDT 2011

In article <j916bi$mbp$1 at usenet-its.stanford.edu>,
Lalo Martins  <rec.arts.comics.creative at googlegroups.com> wrote:
>- Obvious Leader. We seem to be leaning towards Fearless Leader. Hi Dave! Could
>  we pretty please? :-)

     Fearless Leader was specifically made as a donation to public domain, so
that's fine.  Making him secretly a bad guy would annoy me, but a
multilayered confusing plotline in which he seems to be secretly a bad guy
and then isn't and then is and eventually everyone just sort of pretends it
never happened...that would be perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the
LNH.

>- Mystic Person (Occultism Kid, various Acra/trenchcoaters) — I'd like to take
>  this one, my idea for the rebooted Occie was so different from the original
>  that I might as well keep it with a different name. No idea what he or she
>  will be called yet. If you have a concept and/or name you'd like me to reuse,
>  point me to the wiki page or post the profile if it's not in the wiki.

     I'm willing to let Dvandom Stranger be used in his usual role of plot
expositor and generally vague and foreboding presence.

>- Badass Ultraviolent Fighter (UN, Master Blaster) — I think we're going with
>  the rebooted, gun-happy Twaelia, and the rebooted Pantra who isn't from the
>  future at all.

     A convention to keep in mind is that the leader is rarely the best
fighter, except in teams with rotating leadership like the Avengers of LSH.
So if you want to make Fearless Leader the stable leader (like UN was for the
original), he should definitely be beatable in a fair fight by the Badass.
Should it come to a leadership fight, though, leader types often know how to
exploit the Badass's weaknesses.

     I'm thinking that if I do participate, it will be with Acton Lord...and
there may not even be a Sig.Lad.  Or he'd be part of the backstory, a member
of a pre-LNH team in the 90s or something, rather than part of the new LNH.

     Dave Van Domelen, if making a heroic WC these days would probably go
with a replacement for Doctor Stomper.