SW10/HCC: Lateran Speaks

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu May 26 09:37:30 PDT 2011

On Sat, 21 May 2011 06:05:10 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> WJM:  Can you tell us about your duty?
>
> Lateran:  My entire duty now is to say, I told you so.  Your unholy society
> is falling.  My prayers are answered.

The setting you have now is a good place to bring up characters with such a
philosophy, too.

> WJM:  Many people work to make *this* a better world.  Why do you not?
>
> Lateran:  *Naturally* I do.  I concentrate upon wayward women.  I must
> admit, my own sister is one such.  After great ministry to her, I brought
> her into the fold of Mother Church.  I was then inspired to extend my
> ministry to other women.

Nrghl.

> WJM:  No comment on the right of "droit du seigneur", of the head of
> household over all women in his house?
>
> Lateran:  That thus-called right is a slander against medieval lords.  There
> is no evidence that any lord used it.

It's true - in Europe, anyway, and in the form most often cited (that the
lord had the right to spend the first night with a newly-wedded bride).
Not that that the people who'd use it would need a law to justify
themselves.

> WJM:  Fine... You believe in the Rapture.  Is it the end of the world?
>
> Lateran:  Very much not.  It merely extracts the Lord's faithful to avoid
> judgment.
>
> WJM:  When does the judgment come for the rest of us?
>
> Lateran:  Some say, seven years from now.  I say, whenever the Lord wills.

Dun dun...

> WJM:  ... Well.  Your deadline is almost here.  Any final comments?
>
> Lateran:  I told you so.
>
> *Then Lateran actually disappeared!*

Dun-nunnnn!  Good ending.

> Yes, he really believes that.  Or at least he tells himself that.  This
> therefore qualifies for High Concept Challenge  "Behind Blue Eyes".

As a good villain should!

Well-done portrayal, I must say.  Though the places where he's clearly
working hard to justify himself in spite of reality are just a bit too
transparent.  Still good.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, pop pop pop.