MISC: Castled

Phantasm phantom_belcher at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 06:40:10 PDT 2011

On May 2, 3:00 pm, dvan... at eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
> Author's Notes:
>
>      Just an idle idea I had while driving the other day.  I toyed with
> trying to fit it into ASH or even LNH, but decided to just go standalone.
>      This is not really meant to be a clear narrative, so if you're having
> trouble figuring out what Jacob is talking about at times, that's on
> purpose.  :)  His first few monthly reports were probably a lot more coherent
> and informative, but he's reaching the breaking point here.
>      One thing I will explain, though, is why the term castling.  In chess,
> there's a move where you can sort of switch the King with one of the Rooks.
> But it's not an exact swap, and neither ends up on either of the original
> squares (contrary to how I initially and incorrectly learned the game).  So,
> it's a swap of minds, but things don't quite end up in the same places.

I kinda like this idea.  It's an interesting method of traveling to
other timelines.  But there's a few questions: What happens to the
mind of the you you're castling into?  How does s/he adapt to the
world you just left?  Do you have to castle back to your original
timeline/body before castling into a different one, or can you castle
through an infinite number (and really screw things up for your
alternate selves)?