SW10/HCC/REPOST: April 2011 #2: The Satanists with the Silver Skull Machine

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon May 2 20:08:07 PDT 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sun, 1 May 2011 03:07:15 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> Their leader said, "What you call evil we are *proud* to call moral.  I am Auge
>> von Shaitan.  The Eye of Satan."
>
> Now *there*'s a motto/battlecry.

I'm pretty sure it's what real Satanists believe, too.  If I'm going to use them
as villains, I should at least try to be accurate.

>> I said, "I do."  The others said, "I do."  Only Terri was silent.  I asked, "Terri?"
>>
>> "I'm sorry!  Those were real people we met!  I can't vote to destroy them!"
>
> Woo!

Yep.  It's good to have someone like Terri around, now that my characters have
taken on the challenge of being more moral than Marvel Comics.

>> "Please pardon me.  And allow me to introduce myself.  I am Doctor Joseph
>> Biggby-Fisher of the Imperial Academy of Metascience..."
>
> I love that name!

Thanks.  I generated it out of Facebook posts, mostly "What's your name at the
Royal Wedding?"  8{D>

>> "... Right.  You may understand, Her Majesty's Gouvernment is undertaking
>> radical measures against radical climate change.
>
> Interesting it'd still be there in this world.

It's not a *different* world, though.  Terri wished for Victorians, but she
didn't wish for a new orbit.

>> I said, "Seems to me, it's all just the same problems, different year.  We can
>> move the Earth around, but we can't fix man."
>
> ...by the way, this hasn't changed, but: I dunno.  This kind of thing
> always seems like a cop-out to me, or at least cowardly.  Sure, you don't
> want to try to solve all of people's problems for them, and sure, there's a
> slippery slope... but I think I'd, y'know, *try* to put in a patch for the
> upcoming armageddon.

Yeah, I know it's kind of a copout.  But I avoided a much bigger copout with it.
  At this point, the story is what it is.  But I can understand why people might
at least recommend that.  So:  Instant story insert!

Bill said, "You know that old story about how you wait for God to save you from
the flood, even though he just sent you a canoe?  I think God just sent us
something."

Wyatt responded, "This isn't a canoe.  It's the Death Star."

I (*** that being Richard ***) said, "Bill's got a point.  The Victorian
gentleman knew how to ask for *just* the power he needs.  While we've *got* the
power, we could ask for that too."

Jane said, "Really, shouldn't we give the power back and *then* ask?"

I responded, "The time to pray is always now."  Jane agreed, and everyone else
liked the idea.  So I led another group prayer.

Hey, I like it.  I'll probably polish the language a bit when I insert it for
real, but you get the idea.

> I really hope Dr. Biggby-Fisher does make another
> appearance, one way or another...
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, who apparently thinks every friggin'
> thing is interesting.

Hey, I bet *his* world doesn't have The Trillions on it!  So the Doctor could be
visiting Chancellor Wyatt sometime...  Good thing I haven't been making plans
for what to write *other* than some big boring end of the world story, because
as often happens, my characters have their own plans.

(Hey, this is kind of like how Bloom County ended!)

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.