NTB/LNH/HCC: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #42 (HCC19)

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:57:05 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2 May 2011 16:41:20 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:

> Yes.  That was a mistake that I /probably/ would have caught if I hadn't
> been in such a rush from leaving things until the last minute again.

*patpats*

> back to Andrew:
>> As you MAY JUST be able to tell, I like subverting Lovecraftian viewpoints.
>> This specific version of it - that the "real world" is filled with horror,
>> and that normal people get by only through determined ignorance - is a
>> trope perfect for taking the piss on... and I know just the character to do
>> it.
>
> To be fair it is kind of true, sometimes.  The problem is that in a superhero
> class universe the strange and unknown can be either wonderful and/or horrible,
> so the Lovecraftian response that Mister Elmo (and for that matter, most
> Trenchcoaters, probably) is advocating is unduly pessimistic.

Really, it's more that the world is filled with *all* kinds of stuff, and a
"true understanding" that the actual nature of the universe is all
crawling-back-to-a-new-dark-age pain and suffering is not only immature but
irresponsible.

> That said, the 'driven insane' part of his backgrounds leads me to suspect
> that not everything he says or thinks is necessarily true; and sometimes he
> may think it's true while simply being wrong, while other times it may he's
> just using it as an excuse for his own antisocial behaviour.

Which makes sense.

>>>      The police looked at the construct.  One of them frowned in
>>> puzzlement.  "It's a giant piece of cheese."
>>>      "No, it's a Lego statue of Daffy Duck," disagreed the other.
>>
>> Well I-- huh?
>
> They can't perceive the storytelling engine properly.  I haven't really decided
> why.  It might be the non-Euclidean geometry, it might be it's magical nature,
> or it might be the horrible sight still living skulls plugged into it.  When
> it's brought to their attention, most people consciously perceive only part of
> it and the good old pattern recognition skills of the human brain kick in and
> try to make sense of it and often get wildly strange answers.

I think my big question here was, in fact, the why.  Perhaps they can't
percieve it right because it's warping elemental description about it - the
words, the very *concepts* they'd use to understand it are being toyed
with.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, or something.