NTB/LNH/HCC: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #42 (HCC19)

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 09:41:20 PDT 2011

On 1st May 20011 Arthur Spitzer replied:
>>       Bloody Net.ropolis.
>
> That should be 'Bloody Netropolis'...

Yes.  That was a mistake that I /probably/ would have caught if I hadn't
been in such a rush from leaving things until the last minute again.

also, on 2nd May 2011 Andrew Perron replied:
>>      Fin Fanfic Foom created by Saxon Brenton.  IIRC only named checked
>> previously, first appearance here.  Given over to Public Domain.
>
> That's Free For Use! *fistshake*

Yes.  That was a mistake that I /probably/ would have caught if I hadn't
been in such a rush from leaving things until the last minute again.

And one stuff up that I caught just after posting but which nobody else has
mentioned so far:

>>     Meanwhile MasterBlaster was having loads of fun using his
>> cybernetic hand to form weaponry of sufficient calibre to knock about
>> his draconic adversary.  FIN FANFIC FOOM! picked himself out of a wall
>
> Me: You didn't indent his name on its own line!
Yes.  That was a mistake that I /probably/ would have caught if I hadn't
been in such a rush from leaving things until the last minute again.

back to Andrew:
> As you MAY JUST be able to tell, I like subverting Lovecraftian viewpoints.
> This specific version of it - that the "real world" is filled with horror,
> and that normal people get by only through determined ignorance - is a
> trope perfect for taking the piss on... and I know just the character to do
> it.

To be fair it is kind of true, sometimes.  The problem is that in a superhero
class universe the strange and unknown can be either wonderful and/or horrible,
so the Lovecraftian response that Mister Elmo (and for that matter, most
Trenchcoaters, probably) is advocating is unduly pessimistic.

That said, the 'driven insane' part of his backgrounds leads me to suspect
that not everything he says or thinks is necessarily true; and sometimes he
may think it's true while simply being wrong, while other times it may he's
just using it as an excuse for his own antisocial behaviour.

[...]

>>      The police looked at the construct.  One of them frowned in
>> puzzlement.  "It's a giant piece of cheese."
>>      "No, it's a Lego statue of Daffy Duck," disagreed the other.
>
> Well I-- huh?

They can't perceive the storytelling engine properly.  I haven't really decided
why.  It might be the non-Euclidean geometry, it might be it's magical nature,
or it might be the horrible sight still living skulls plugged into it.  When
it's brought to their attention, most people consciously perceive only part of
it and the good old pattern recognition skills of the human brain kick in and
try to make sense of it and often get wildly strange answers.

[...]

>>      "It's..."  There was no time to explain, and even if there had
>> been, this was one of the Legion of Net.Heroes.  He wouldn't have enough
>> intelligence to understand!
>
> Well that's just mean. >:/

Yes.  And it's all there in the Net.Trechcoat Brigade FAQ.  The Trenchcoaters
don't like the Legion, and the feeling is mutual.  Also we know that the Order
of St Doomas don't think highly of the Legion.  And if the 'Cry Apathy' had
have gone through, we would have found out that the Order and the Brigade
don't like each other either.  There were a number of scenes that I was planning
 where all three groups were having lots of not-fun as theuy failed to get along.

(Oh crap.  Now I have the impulsive need to find the printout of the scene where
Mr E.K.Mouse gets on the Lobotomizer's nerves, while Fearless Leader and Limp-
Asparagus Lad look on.  Looks like I'm gonna have a late night retyping...)

and on 2nd May 2011 Scott Eiler replied:
>>      The dragon roared, lunging towards Mister Elmo.  "Be silent!  Or
>>            FIN FANFIC FOOM!
>> will put you in his pants!"
>>      "Ahhh!" screamed Mister Elmo, genuinely horrified at the prospect.
>
> With a battle cry like that,
>      FIN FANFIC FOOM
> is a villain to be truly feared.  Indeed, that was the scariest thing about
> the dragon.

And it isn't even an original joke :-)   I've ripped both the
          FIN FANFIC FOOM!
typesetting, and the 'put you in my pants!' threat from Warren Ellis's
shortlived _Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E._ comic from Marvel.  I'm glad people
liked the running joke, but I can't claim that this piece of brilliance is mine.

(I have this demeneted theory that most dragons don't wear pants, and that the
ones that do have some unspeakably horrible secret about their groin region.
What it is, I dunno; it's scarier if it's left to the reader's imagination.)

---
Saxon Brenton