LNH: Beige Midnight #7: The Bart Age III: "The Mountain Top" (1/4)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Tue Mar 29 16:08:36 PDT 2011

Arthur Spitzer wrote:
> On 3/22/11 5:52 AM, Andrew Perron wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:22:15 +0000 (UTC), Arthur Spitzer wrote:
>>
>>> [Cover:  Bart the Dark Receptionist stands on a mound of 250 (or so)
>>> LNH'r corpses.  In his left hand is the Ultimate Ninja's heart.  In his
>>> right hand is Captain Continuity's severed head.  A dialogue balloon
>>> from Bart says, "Did Geoff Johns guest write this or something?"  The
>>> bottom caption says:  THE BART AGE ENDS HERE!!!]
>>
>> Ah, man.  Another chunk of Beige Midnight goodness.<3 I'll cover this in
>> more detail later, but suffice to say, if you like what's come so far,
>> you'll like this a lot - and if you don't... what's wrong with you people
>>> :/
>>
>> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron,>:/ !
>
> Thanks.  Looking forward to that.

Well, then, here's some.

I've finally taken a vow to start reading those big LNH stories, because what
else can I do when people give me free fiction I can read on my cell phone, and
it's not one of those sexy popular cell phones that *everyone* publishes for.
Thank you, LNH!

I've always had a problem getting past the in-jokes, like
whatshisname-Saxon-Brenton-Wouldn't-Publish-whatsisname-Saxon-Brenton-whatever-Lad.
  For this exercise, I just substituted Whatever Lad.  Don't make me invoke him
again!  That said...

It was a nice study of ultimate power.  I'm taking notes, because I might have
to deal with that same concept myself soon.  But I think you missed the old
trope, "... I wish I had ten wishes more!"

It's probably good you resolved the plot, rather than leaving it dangling.
(Insert name of character here) was as good a way as any, even though I don't
understand (insert gender if relevant)'s powers.  (Insertions provided in place
of spoiler alerts)

I'm starting to respect some of the LNHers as characters.  Ultimate Ninja's
increasingly cool, and Ripping Dancer certainly had her moment.  And it was a
good action story.  Nice job.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.