8Fold/Acra/HCC: My Father's Son #2 [HCC20]

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:12:06 PDT 2011

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:38:32 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:

>      "Planning his big black cape scheme for world domination," jeered
> Trisha.  She may have been the one with superhuman strength, but since
> she was female she didn't usually participate in the actual roughhousing
> herself.  Funny how someone who had several times claimed that she wanted
> to be a positive female role model fell back into gender cliches like
> that, but then Slowpoke suspected that it was just a useful sounding
> catchphrase that she had developed to answer why she aspired to be a
> four-colour hero.  In any case Jackson tossed Slowpoke to Singh, and
> neither of them actually needed superhuman strength to do it.  It was
> simply another drawback that Slowpoke suffered from being so small.
> Then, after a condescending noogie, Singh stuffed Slowpoke head first
> in a trash bin.

Interesting.  I wouldn't think that someone with such an obvious outward
streak of cruelty would even keep up the pretense - at least, without
trying to hide said streak.

>      And that was why John Danisee scared Slowpoke.  Not because he had
> ever physically menaced the teenager, and only peripherally because he
> was a potential threat to Slowpoke's secret identity.  Danisee's
> inexplicable behaviour brought Slowpoke up short with self doubt and
> made him ask himself, 'What is wrong with me?'

Oooooooh.  This, now, this is wonderful great.

>| And like a lot of teenagers who have trouble coping, the only thing that
>| makes his life bearable is the solace he takes in his addiction.
>|
>| No, not alcohol or hard drugs, or even running with a gang.
>|
>| Kevin suffers from obsessive-compulsive superheroing.

Awesome.  I can really feel it, too; the flat affect is part of it.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, empathy... wow.