StarFall/HCC20: Going Solo #5: Behind Blue Eyes

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:32:52 PDT 2011

On Sat, 28 May 2011 00:22:19 +0000 (UTC), Phantasm wrote:

Okay, let's get some feedback goin'!

> Frostbite and Venus were recently arrested for causing a ruckus at the
> Hayden Planetarium.  What are---?
>
>    "I've decided to let thim sit and stew in jail for a few days
> before busting them out.  It'd do them some good, I think; maybe next
> time they'll listen before accepting a job from someone who won't tell
> them who he is.  Sad to say that not everyone in Wild Force is as
> dedicated to the cause as others; Frostbite in particular is quite the
> mercenary.  I didn't peg Venus as one; she's the closest to a true
> believer we have, other than myself.  Attacking a planetarium was a
> bad move; it did nothing to further the cause."

Very good bit of cross-title fleshing-out!

>    "I've got Indian blood in me.  No, not East Indian; American
> Indian.  Why be politically correct when you can be right?  It's not
> like the term is *actually* insulting, unlike some words used to
> describe blacks and hispanics.  Many Indians I know use the term
> themselves.

Indeed, I've seen this; mind you, I have no idea what the general consensus
is.

> Way I see it, people will
> survive any apocalypse; there will just be a lot less of them.  There
> are too many monkeys with guns running around.

Ah, okay, I wasn't sure if he'd was regular ruthless extremist or
extra-spicy nacho crazy until this point.

> One thing I don't understand.  Why ask for an interview now, and why
> ask for me?
>
>    "It's because I know you.  I'm not talking personally, of course,
> but you're the only journalist I've come to respect.  I've seen many
> of your interview pieces, and while you often interview folks you
> don't agree with, you don't go out of your way to ridicule them.
> You're impartial, which is rare."

Oh, yes, valuable indeed.

>    I want to say that I maintained my reporter's ethics by not
> becoming involved in the story, but I did not.  After leaving the
> Sleep Inn, I immediately drove to the San Diego FBI office, where I
> played my digital recorder back for them.

Yeah, that's way more ethical.

Good stuff, though I think his ranting goes on a bit long.  Realistic, I
suppose, but still.  Anyway, I liked it!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, yes!