HCC: HCC #22 Proposition: Someone Else's Characters (Re: HCC #21 Voting CLOSED!)

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Jul 27 20:04:02 PDT 2011

On 7/27/2011 4:58 PM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
>       We have a tie.  A THREE WAY tie.  So, in accordance with the policy I
> set forth a while back, I have cast the deciding vote, and the winner of the
> Blockbuster Movie High Concept Challenge is Scott Eiler!  Take it away,
> Scott!  (I may not be able to participate, due to moving, even if Scott sets
> a fairly long deadline.)
>
>       Dave Van Domelen, moving to Kearney NE.

Thanks, Dave, and congratulations on the thing that takes you to
Nebraska.  It is one of the few states I cannot comment on from experience.

Insert "gracious winner" spiel here... aw, screw it.  Hooray!  I win one
all by myself!  As sole winner, I can therefore promise to spare you
another "A man and his chocolate react by swimming" challenge.  However,
the idea I *do* have will need some public opinion in its favor before I
actually declare it...

I have had great fun this year writing stories about characters from
other imprints:  first the Night of the RACCies, then the Coming of
Gavrilo the Hermit Wizard Bee.  (Thanks to all those who didn't complain
when their characters get involved in these.)  I'd like to see more
stories with people guest-writing other people's characters.  Or in the
case of the LNH, characters from outside the whole imprint.

As guest writers, would you accept this challenge?  As character
creators, would you donate any of your characters?  It would be the
writer's call where and how the adventure happens, and whether the
writer's own characters are involved at all.  It would in turn be the
creator's call whether the adventure is in continuity for his characters.

I've got a list of characters for the SW10 imprint: almost two hundred
now.  (I keep this list handy for when I need a random guest star.)  If
we go with this concept, I'll make them all available to be guest stars.
  And I'll write an exhibition story too, just because I would never
propose a challenge I wouldn't write to.  Either I'll write the next
installment of the New Adventures of Gavrilo, or I'll do an LNH short
story just to prove I don't hate the Legion.

If you do accept this challenge, please respond with characters you'll
donate.  When we've got enough (I'd say, three more imprints worth) and
if there be no major objection, I'll declare the contest open.