[MV] The Super Wizard From Space #15: The Tragedy Of Sharkasaurus Rex, Part 5

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 10:29:32 PDT 2011

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:24:18 +0000 (UTC), Wil Alambre wrote:

> Andrew Perron wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:51:36 +0000 (UTC), Wil Alambre wrote:

<snip>
>>> The other fish were awash in their own horror, nothing but unyielding
>>> blues in their minds painting over rationality. But Theodor was a blue
>>> fish, used to swimming in such grim waters.
>>
>> ...wouldja believe I just got that?
>
> S'okay, I only just added that connection in at that moment in the story
> :P Otherwise, Geisel would have been a happier colour himself.

Ahhhhh, okay. XD

>>> The musical sound slammed into Theodor's wraith-like form and shook
>>> every fibre. The musical sound pushed him into a more real state, a more
>>> real place in the universe. For the first time since his death, for a
>>> brief solid second, he felt heavy and cold and alive again.
>>
>> Interesting.  This suggests that the fish's ghost-forms aren't simply
>> spirit, but have a matter-energy component to them.
>>
>> Of course, that's far too Silver Age analytical for this Golden Age jam.
>
> That was always some of the funnest parts of a golden-age story, the
> later analysis and discussion and usage. They were great fun in and of
> themselves, but decades later, they had so much potential for successive
> writers to mine :)

Oh yes. <3 That's part of the interesting interplay of different ages - and
different writers; some focus on creating possibility, while others focus
on mining it.

The Silver Age was probably the most balanced, in this aspect; the Golden
Age was far more protean, and the ages since have focused a bit too much on
mining it.  The current age has taken some strides in creating new
possibilities, but is hampered by writers and editors who only look back.
So it goes; we can learn from their mistakes.

>> It seems like the Super Wizard has moved away a bit from the unyielding
>> champion of heartless justice, driven only by the mission.
>
> I'm enjoying writing this series while trying to avoid taking the super
> wizard's point of view. As much as possible, I'm going to write these
> arcs from everyone else's point of view. Much more interesting to see
> how other characters view him and weigh in on him.

Indeed.  I could possibly recommend having *each* issue narrated by a
non-Super Wizard character.

> Still learning. Thanks for the feedback, everyone, it's super-helpful :)

That's what we're here for!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, that and the free crab cakes.