ASH: ASH Wednesday: STRAFE - City of Lions

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sun Jul 17 09:08:49 PDT 2011

On 7/16/2011 9:49 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 04:46:16 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> I lost track of characters with Sirius and Tonks.  But according to my
>> limited understanding... Hagrid, the Weasleys, and especially Dumbledore
>> struck me as adult characters which the children existed to outwit.
>> Stupid, that is.  I hear Dumbledore transitioned from Stupid to Dead.
>> The villain Severus Snape transitioned from Evil to Dead.
>
> My goodness.  Yeah, at no point could Dumbledore be called stupid.  The
> Weasleys, occasionally.  Hagrid, well, probably more than most.  But
> Dumbledore?  Never.  And as for Snape... um, did you finish the first one?

I gather Snape was at best ambiguous until he transitioned to dead.  And
I understand Dumbledore had his reasons for what he did; that was an
ongoing plot thread.  But wasn't the whole point of The Order of the
Phoenix how the children trained themselves in mystic arts to fight evil
because the grown-ups from Dumbledore on down were at best ambiguous
about doing that?

> Anyway, not saying you should go out and read it right now - but it's
> definitely more complex than you might think.

I'll admit that a bookshelf full of five-hundred-page novels might have
some hidden complexity that I've missed after reading just one novel and
seeing movies of two more.  So if I've missed something, I'll yield the
point.