ASH: ASH Wednesday: STRAFE - City of Lions

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Jul 15 21:46:16 PDT 2011

On 7/15/2011 8:20 PM, Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 00:57:02 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> That would be an interesting but not obvious development.  But the
>> obvious next characters are Harry Potter:  The Next Generation.  They
>> will of course find out what their predecessors knew when they were
>> children:  All grown-ups are either stupid, evil, or dead.  (This is a
>> trait of *every* modern children's story.)  Harry himself will become
>> either stupid or evil.
>
> ...the thing is, I'd argue that Harry Potter had some of the best adult
> characters in modern kidsbook, with not just Dumbledore, but the Weasleys,
> Sirius, Tonks, Hagrid, and others all having their own characterization and
> occupying separate but valuable roles.

I loved the Harry Potter concept.  But I was never its target audience,
because I do not care whose high school team gets to decorate the
cafeteria for Homecoming, or whatever the Harry Potter equivalent is.  I
recall that being the high point of the first novel / movie.

I lost track of characters with Sirius and Tonks.  But according to my
limited understanding... Hagrid, the Weasleys, and especially Dumbledore
struck me as adult characters which the children existed to outwit.
Stupid, that is.  I hear Dumbledore transitioned from Stupid to Dead.
The villain Severus Snape transitioned from Evil to Dead.

So I am not encouraged to pick up Harry Potter fiction, unless it
becomes available for free on text-based media such as RACC. 8{D>