SW10/HCC: The Tape #2: THE POWER OF THE TAPE! Clip

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Jul 9 14:48:52 PDT 2011

See the Trailer! http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/page.php?fn=tape1.txt

Interview with The Tape's original comic-book writer.

"The Tape has a pretty standard supporting cast. His girlfriend is Janna
James, and we don't worry very much about what she does for a living.
His arch-nemesis is General Shitflinger. I can say shit for this
interview, right? We spell that dollar sign, number sign, exclamation,
plus sign. His resemblance to a chimpanzee is intentional."

Caption: Ben Edmond, March 28, 1999.

Clip starts in a mission control center. The Tape's girlfriend, civilian
astrophysicist Janna James, is monitoring screens. One screen shows
trajectories for Earth and Planet Diabolus which will crash into it,
plus some spaceships traveling in between. Janna's military commander
(and enemy of The Tape), "Spamflinger" Tregg Bandler, is ranting.

Spamflinger, into speakerphone: "Gimme the countdown on the nucular option."

Speakerphone: "Time on target three... two... one... Uhh..."

Spamflinger: "Dammit! You know what comes after one!"

Speakerphone: "It's supposed to, but it isn't. Something about that
planet is stopping nuclear reactions!"

Janna: "Then it's down to The Tape." (Into a microphone) "Tape? How you
doing?"

Spamflinger, ignoring Janna: "Well, get the nukes to work!"

Speakerphone: "Uh, General Bandler, there is no get the nukes to work.
They're in secure mode. They don't have comms at this point. Either they
work or they don't."

Spamflinger: "Aw, spam. We got to get ourselves bigger nukes, right now."

The Tape (from speakers): "Janna! I've been unfurling the solar sails
since I landed! This is... Big!" (He sounds impressed, not discouraged)

Janna, looking at monitors: "General, I confirm. Sails now cover 87
percent of the planet's cross-section area to the Sun."

Spamflinger: "So what's that mean?"

Janna: "He's ahead of schedule! The solar wind is working to deflect
Planet Diabolus!"

Spamflinger, to the rest of the mission room: "Confirm!"

Nameless scientist at monitor: "There is deflection on Planet Diabolus.
But it's not enough. It's still going to sideswipe the Earth."

Janna, into microphone: "Do you hear that, Tape? It's working! But it
needs to work a little better! You can save us! I know you can!"

Spamflinger: "Bullspam. No sail's gonna move a whole planet!"

Janna: "But it is! The Tape can make tape stick to anything! We gave him
a planet's worth of double-sided-sticky aluminum duct tape! It not only
reflects the solar wind, it sticks to space to slow things down!

Spamflinger: "More bullspam. How the hell?"

Janna: "On Earth, his glider sticks to the air. In space, it's sticking
to interplanetary hydrogen! And so is his solar sail! The hydrogen
reacts to the solar wind and drives the planet away even more!"

The Tape: "ARRRH!"

Nameless scientist: "The trajectory for Diabolus is changing! It's going
to miss the Earth!"

General jubilation.

Janna: "Okay, Tape. Come on home... Tape? Tape?"

Author's Notes:

This episode is online at
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/page.php?fn=tape2.txt .

The movie's science is intentionally loose. I doubt the movie writers
really care what the interplanetary radio transmission delay is, or
where The Tape put a planet's worth of tape.

"Spamflinger" was called "$#!+flinger" (yes, with the special
characters) in The Tape's comic books. You can bet there's lots of
fanboy outrage that his movie name makes him look less like a vengeful
chimpanzee and more like a cafeteria lady.

I've got some cites about the threats in the trailer:

*  Evil rioters from "Cauldron" (2010:
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2010/cauldron.htm).

*  Evil Afghans from "Plan Joab" (2001:
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/joab.htm).

*  Evil Russians from "Secret Wings" (2007:
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2007/secretwings.htm).

*  The Trillions plus their alien enemies (2009:
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2009/trillions.htm).

(signed) Scott, heh, actually cruised cable TV for inspiration while
writing this, and thereby watched Planet Apokolips slowly pass the Moon
headed for Earth. Okaaay.