LNH/Contest: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #40 HCC16

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 07:47:14 PST 2011

On Jan 23, 5:56 am, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren... at hotmail.com> wrote:

> ___  ___________________________
> | |-|                           \
> | |-| []                        /                #40
> | |-|      [] []   []  []       \           Saxon Brenton
> | |-|___________________________/

I'm not familiar with the original (well, I mean, I've *heard* of it
but I've never *experienced* it).  This works well nevertheless, but
I'm curious; what poetic form is it?

>      The Chippewa mythology as used here has been bent, folded, spindled
> and mutilated almost as much as Gordon Lightfoot's song lyrics.
> Mishibizhiw

How do you *pronounce* that?

> is indeed an ill-regarded manitou who lives underwater and
> causes drownings, but I included powers to cause storms and early
> winters that make him more like the winter spirit Gaabiboonikaan.  The
> Nibiinaabewag and niibinaabekwewag ('watermen' and 'waterwomen') are
> merfolk, but I decided that the ones that Mishibizhiw would use are
> creepy undead/demonic versions that he creates from the bodies of his
> victims after he's eaten their souls.

Om nom nom!  Creature - Zombie Merfolk'd!

>      Suicide Squid...  You know, there was a time when I wouldn't have
> felt the need to explain Suicide Squid on a rec.arts.comics.* newsgroup.
> But it was twenty years ago, and the Squiddy awards haven't been held
> since 2005...

Time
Is marching on
And time
Is still marching on!

>      Back in 1991 someone posted a question to rec.arts.comics.misc
> asking about events in the then-current _Suicide Squad_ comic - but
> mistyped it as 'Suicide Squid'.  Whereupon other posters ran with the
> joke and began to explain in great detail what was happening in the
> totally imaginary Suicide Squid comic.  The Ten Tentacled Avenger Of The
> Deep went on to become the mascot of rec.arts.comics.misc, and had their
> annual awards (The Squiddies) named after him.  Ty Templeton did the
> artwork for the t-shirts.

You know, I knew most of this story in various pieces, but I'm not
sure if I've ever actually seen it summarized like that before.

> Since Suicide Squid can't manifest in the Looniverse anymore,
> his subsequent LNH appearances have either been off-dimension (as in
> _Limp-Asparagus Lad_ #49-50) or in the past (as this story is).

How many LNH appearances did he *have* before that, anyway?

>      And on a personal note: I have often wondered why more Suicide Squid
> stories (whether tied to LNH continuity or free from any continuity)
> weren't posted to alt.comics.lnh and rec.arts.comics.creative during his
> heyday in the 1990s.  Just one of those things, I guess.

People often make arbitrary divisions in their minds - Thing A and
Thing B are completely and wholly separate and never the twain shall
meet.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, first saw that quote in a Spider-
Man comic.