StarFall: 2010 RACCies Eligibles

Phantasm phantom_belcher at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 12:03:26 PST 2011

On Jan 2, 2:24 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 03:03:15 +0000 (UTC), Phantasm wrote:
> > 10. Parody/Comedy:
> >   Spellbinder (possibly)
>
> > 11. Acrophobe/Adult Offering:
> >   Spellbinder (possibly)
>
> There's something I've noticed about our society today.  Outside of kids'
> stuff, we haven't been doing a lot of "light" that isn't also "comedy".
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, who tends to go for a light adventure
> groove.

Spellbinder, from what I've read, seems to be one of those offerings
that can swing sharply between serious and not-so-serious in a
moment's notice.  Its "parody/comedy" aspect seems to be more
"satire".

I think perhaps the issue here is that we don't have a category for
"light adventure offering".  It's either Comedy or Adult.  This, I
think, dates back to the early 90s when the options were LNH, NTB, and
Omega, with the latter two offering up stories tagged "ACRA" on a semi-
regular basis.  Parody and GrimDark, with not much between them.   Now
that we've matured as a newsgroup, maybe it's time to rename or maybe
expand those two categories? Or add another category between them for
"Light Adventure"?

Phantasm... "Why so serious?"