SW10: December 2010 #1a: Cauldron Book II, Part 1 - The Obama Spiel

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Feb 25 20:23:17 PST 2011

Author's Note:  This sequence gets inserted into the story, while Our Heroines
are getting briefed by President Obama.  I've provided an excerpt from the two
lead-in paragraphs as context.

Then the President gave us status. Ellipsis had returned! ... The President
considered this hopeful. But I think Ellipsis is setting up his own survivalist
compound.

There'd also been a new incursion of the Fine Green Paste, but it was gray now.
At least something other than Ellipsis was adjusting to life on our famine Earth.

Obama closed by being inspirational, just like he does to the general public. "I
know your job is hard. But you are the defenders of a free society. You defend
it by *not* cracking down on dissent. The nations which *do* crack down, have
had or are having civil wars, as you can see in Libya and China.

"The economic crash is temporary. The food shortages are temporary. But the
world is sound. We will survive. And the free people of the world will show the
way. We will face the rogue nations that threaten the world with prohibited
weapons while their own societies collapse. And we will prevail.

"Agents of USIB, the prayers of a grateful nation are with you."

---

Author and Reviewer Notes:

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 03:27:22 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

>> In this particular episode I considered having Obama include more stuff in his
>> briefing... but that's not what Presidents usually do when they talk with field
>> agents.  A nice little reassuring message that mentions how Our Country will
>> weather all these crises would have been perfect Obama, though.  I'll probably
>> include one in the rewrite.
>
> Possibly you can have that in a speech he's giving to the public?
>
> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, neko miko Obama~

More speech later, but I think the agents need some inspiration from their
Commander in Chief right now.  I doubt that character in my story would have
ignored that need.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.