SW10: December 2010 #1: Cauldron Book II, Part 1

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Wed Feb 23 19:27:22 PST 2011

Andrew Perron wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 03:18:30 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:
>
>> President Obama dialed in to our briefing today. The President stated, he still
>> believes in his policy to let all Americans come to consensus without the
>> intervention of national forces. So we had a national summary to cover the
>> outcome of that policy among the United States Intelligence Battalion since we
>> started our mission.
>
> Interesting.
>
>> I gave the report on Nashville. The rioting ended last month. A group named the
>> Nehemiah Covenant has helped quiet things down. Among other things, they've
>> publicized a guide to urban survivalist cuisine. People eat stewed nettles here
>> now. There's even nettle sauce in our hotel box lunches now. (Back home in
>> Seattle, I hear people are eating slugs. God, we're eating weeds and worms like
>> North Korea does.)
>
> I'm surprised we haven't heard about places like that going completely
> haywire.

Oh, it's happening.  I know some pieces of where Superhuman World 2010 is going,
and Real World 2011 is showing me the way.  But I haven't forced this stuff into
the stories yet, because my usual narrator is on break and the others tend to be
more action-oriented.

In this particular episode I considered having Obama include more stuff in his
briefing... but that's not what Presidents usually do when they talk with field
agents.  A nice little reassuring message that mentions how Our Country will
weather all these crises would have been perfect Obama, though.  I'll probably
include one in the rewrite.

>> But then the body next to the grave blurred - and ran at me! Aw, crap, I'd only
>> assumed it was a dead body! Instead it was an ambush!
>
> You know, I'd honestly forgotten about the zombie aspect at this point. XD

You know, I had too.  After next episode, I'll tell you what longstanding plot
challenge I *hadn't* forgotten.

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.