StarFall/HCC: Zombies Don't Eat Living Flesh

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 20:20:14 PST 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:31:23 +0000 (UTC), Phantasm wrote:

> New Orleans has been through the worst of things.  Even though Katrina
> hit several years ago, it still resides in the memories of those who
> lived through it.  Despite all this, there are several constants in
> New Orleans that seem to withstand even Random Acts of God: The French
> Quarter, the oldest part of the city - the *original* city - situated
> on the only land above sea level; the annual Mardi Gras parades and
> celebrations in the weekend before Lent; and Voodoo.

I've noticed a leaning lately, among the more creative strain of urban
fantasy writers, towards Voodoo zombies; not surprising, really,
considering how deeply the Romero-style vein has been tapped lately.

> As she flitted through the city of the dead, as the streets and
> alleyways of New Orleans' large above-ground marble mausoleums are
> known, Niqa couldn't help but feel a sense of forboding.  It was a
> sense she hadn't felt since she'd been consulted by the Jackson family
> to prevent someone from doing an authentic remake of the "Thriller"
> video a few years back.

Nice throwaway detail!  It's stuff like this that makes universes seem
richer.

> "Yes, go my zombies!" the man called out.  "Feast on the city!  For
> every one that falls to your jaws, a new zombie shall rise!  Soon,
> very soon, New Orleans will be a *true* necropolis!"

<snip>

> "Ah tol' ya b'fore, Gheda," she told her fallen opponent, "ya can'
> make zombies make new zombies jus' by *eatin'* folks."

Very well-done!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, devourment~