LNH/REVIEW: The Tribulations of Kid Review #5

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Feb 10 18:35:50 PST 2011

No quibbles for the most part, because review is always a good thing.  Yours are
always helpful, Andrew.  Thanks.

Andrew Perron wrote:

> "Wyatt's previous adventures in this world seem to have gotten him his
> own copycat doogooder, but it turns out that it's actually Wyatt
> himself - or rather, the version of him from this world. (...I think?
> They reference some backstory, how this one's a separate piece of his
> soul, but it's a bit convoluted.)

Well, yeah.  Like in many of our storytelling universes, the backstory is what
it is.  And I gave the *simplified* version.  My web pages have hyperlinks to
get the whole thing so I don't have to refer you in Author's Notes to Me in the
Marvel Universe 2003 September #1.  But you the reader are in control of how
deep to dig.  I think you got the gist of the backstory.

The full(er) origin of Chancellor Wyatt is:  He is a piece of our Ambassador
Wyatt, split off in September 2003 to *become Galactus* for about a year.  As
often happens, the real Galactus got better and took the job back.  So
Ex-Galactus Wyatt went back to Warsaw St. Lawrence, the last human place he'd
known.  There he found himself highly regarded, and eventually led the Congress
of Ordered Realities.

Would it have helped the story if I'd put a lawyer-safe version of that
paragraph in?

> "Overall, though, a fine improvement in Scott's storytelling skills,
> and a fine step in the journey of the Superhuman World."
>
> -----------<>-----------
>
> Kid Review awoke.  What an odd dream.  He sat up, yawned, got out of
> bed and immediately wanged his head on the dimensional projection
> machine.
>
> "...owwww..."

Yeah, but what about the integrity of the Letter Page Dimension?  Dream-Wyatt
Ferguson would have been willing to loan Kid Review some badly-disguised Hulks
to plug the breach in reality.  Hulks are cheap and readily available.  8{D>

Hey, I'm liking Kid Review stories!

Only their myths concerned peace and contentment, and that in such a
coercive, sullen package it was obvious that the Earth humans resented
the very idea.

- from "Passing" by Elaine Radford, Aboriginal SF, May/June 1987.