HCC/LNH20: "Coming to Grief" 24 Minute Challenge

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Fri Dec 30 19:14:17 PST 2011

On 12/30/2011 10:34 AM, Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> Author's Notes:
>
>       Actual story written in 18 minutes, but I spent a few minutes in the
> shower roughing out ideas, plus a minute or so on this note.  Still, I figure
> it gets in under the wire in spirit.

I have a Pink Floyd CD with a 23:31 minute song standing by for when I
take this challenge.  I have three plotlines with previously written
summaries to choose from.  I doubt you'd want to see a 24 minute web
comic from me, so I'll be submitting text.  I think my readership will
agree, the story I pick will be worth about 24 minutes.  8{D>

>       The 80s cartoon being ripped off is Spiral Zone, one of my favorite 80s
> kidvid programs.  Spawn Camping is a practice in online games where you wait
> someplace where a particular enemy (or other player) will appear ("spawn") so
> you can kill them right away.  It often involves letting other players do the
> work required to make the enemy spawn, then stealing their reward.  Spawn
> Campers are not highly thought of, plus cross that over with McFarlane's
> Spawn for a dark vigilante who steals kills from other heroes.  ;)  The whiny
> Canadian is a reference to Scott Pilgrim.

These Author's Notes help the story make sense to me.  I totally reserve
the right to take as long as I like on Author's Notes after I write the
story.

>       The speaker in parentheses shouldn't be too hard to figure out, yes?

... I get it!  I hope I can write a 24-minute story which actually
advances my storyline too.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.