Starfall: Spellbinder #4

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Dec 19 18:29:32 PST 2011

On 12/19/2011 7:42 AM, William Strickland wrote:

> Chelsea: Okay! So y'see, hungry dead, y'know like ghouls and vampires?
> They're hungry because they're decomposing and they don't want to,
> especially vampires because vampires are all shallow, narcissistic
> jerks who want to be pretty forever. But if they eat parts of what
> they used to be - human blood for formerly human vampires, human flesh
> for formerly human ghouls - they can slow down and even reverse the
> rot. However, if they eat something that *isn't* what they used to be,
> the process of decomposition actually *speeds up* instead. So if you
> feed a ghoul a pastry made out of processed wheat, processed fruit,
> and a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't even exist in nature,
> decomposition speeds up so much that what you're basically left with
> is a balloon full of methane, hydrogen sulphide, and ammonia. More
> importantly, the other thing decomposition produces is *heat* - this
> combination is the reason silos full of hay or grains can just ignite
> for no apparent reason, and when supernaturally sped up as in this
> case, it's enough to have a ghoul go up in flames *just like that*. I
> LOVE MAGIC SCIENCE!
>
> ...Thanks, Chel.

Personally, I think the walking undead would seek out preservatives.
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2011/page.php?fn=zombies.txt)  But I
still like Chelsea's explanation.  I guess we'll find out which one of
us is right when the Zombiepocalypse comes.

Turns out I'm an anally-fixated oedipal paranoid with
south-of-the-border schizophrenic delusions...  But never mind, I've
found me the ideal job.  I'm going to run for President!

- Major Honey, scripted by Grant Morrison, Doom Patrol #46, August 1991.