LNH20/Meta: the silver and bronze ages

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 09:41:19 PST 2011

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 19:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Lalo Martins wrote:

> quoth Andrew Perron as of Fri, 02 Dec 2011 18:45:27 +0000:

<snip>
>> Honestly, I see "net.human" as more of an indicator of "human with
>> powers", including villains and those not active in adventuring, rather
>> than "superhero".  I could see some pundit calling them "New Humans",
>> and the term getting conflated with net.men (which itself would later
>> become net.hero).
>
> Sorry, that was poor writing of my part. I did mean exactly that; net.men
> (later net.human, net.person) means anyone with powers, whether hero,
> villain, in-between, or not adventuring at all.

Ahhhhhh; well, then, very good.

> Also, if it's a Bronze Age thing, it should probably
> be tailored to speak more to Bronze Age values, including social
> relevance and whatnot. No idea how :-P

We can have incredibly awkward stabs at inclusiveness, like a black guy
who's a former gang member and an East Asian martial artist?  Oh, and
Vietnam vets.  So many Vietnam vets.

>>> 2002: The Killfile.
>>
>> I think I would've put this a bit earlier, both to give the world more
>> time to adapt to it as the status quo and to reflect the beginning of
>> the Modern Age (whose beginning is disputed, but whose latest possible
>> beginning date has gotta be October 2000, with UItimate Spider-Man #1).
>
> That's funny. I also wanted it to be earlier/longer, but I thought
> somebody at some point had said it lasted 5 years. Maybe I'm wrong. Yeah,
> I'm fine with 1999.

Possibly, you conflated it with "2012 is five years post-Killfile"?

>>> 2002: Net.ropolis becomes Netropolis.
>
> This is meant to be “shortly after the Killfile”, so if we move the
> Killfile back, we move this too. Then 1999 would be even more
> appropriate, because of the .com burst; I can imagine a city wouldn't
> want to be too closely associated with the .com phenomenon by then.

Ah, yes, another good point.

> Although actually the bubble burst was in March 2000. Maybe the best way
> to go here is to put the Killfile in late 99, and the loss of the dot in
> mid 2000.

That works too.

>> Interesting!  Both the "inspired by science" and "model UN" aspects of
>> it are very suited to the time period.
>
> Also, my choice of countries is based on who was doing superhero/sci-fi/
> adventure comics in the silver age period. At least the ones that had
> wide influence later... the logic being that, in a League of
> Extraordinary Gentlemen way, those comics are mainly set in the country
> in which they were written, and if our world is a patchwork of shadows,
> pastiches, and echoes of all those, then these are the countries that
> would see the most net.men popping up.

Ahhhhh, yes, that does make sense.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, plus, it means we can do the most
homages.